FUMC Marietta, GA- Church: Methodist, Local Church Service
Friday, May 24, 2013
Log Chapel Altar Furnishings
In keeping with the date of the original log church built on Marietta FUMC property around 1830, the furnishings, consisting of a center piece cross on the front wall, a lecturn, communion table and baptismal font, were buiilt from long-leaf pine lumber that covered much of the lower Southeastern United States in those days. This native pine was nearly eradicated by over-cutting and only a small vestige remains today.
The cross was designed, accented by the beautiful and strong, straight grain of lumber, by Charles Franzman and built by Charles and Henry Randall in Henry's woodworking shop. The two friends continued together to design and construct the lecturn and table, followed by Charles turning the baptismal font, also from old-growth pine, on his lathe.
The beautiful wood was contributed by Buck Northcutt. Buck told Henry and Charles a story that "links" the wood to MFUMC, in a round-about way! He came upon the demolition of a house on Cherokee Street 40-50 years ago and stopped to rescue the wide pine closet shelves from the rubble of the house, and he has diligently saved them fro something special all of this time! The demolished house was known as "The McKinney House". Linda McKinney was married to W.D. Anderson, Jr. in the house. The groom was the son of The Reverend W.D. Anderson, Sr., who was a long-time member of our church (joined in May of 1867). He served on the Board of Stewards, and as a Trustee and Sunday school superintendent. Subsequently, Mr. Anderson served our church as Pastor and then as District Superintendent, known then as Presiding Elder. By the marriage of his son, our Rev. Anderson became Linda McKinney's father-in-law. An interesting story about the history of our shelf boards!