FUMC Marietta, GA- Church: Methodist, Local Church Service
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Project Light is a non-profit organization dedicated to fighting illiteracy by employing a unique combination of software-based instruction, one-to-one tutoring, and community and faith-based Learning Centers. Over the past 28 years, over 500 Project Light Learning Centers have been established across the United States and in 35 other countries worldwide.
Community learning centers are at the heart of Project Light's ministry. These centers, with anywhere from a few to a few dozen computer stations, tutors, and students, are where students' lives are changed as they learn to read, learn English as a second language, or prepare for their GED. Along the way they build meaningful friendships with their tutors and learn about God's love for them. Tutors are always needed. There is no fee for tutors, and may be of all ages, from high school students to retired senior citizens. Students come to class 1 1/2 hours twice a week. Classes are available from 7:00-8:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday. Our community learning center is located at St. Phillip UMC located at 2400 Favor Road, Marietta, Georgia 30060. 770-435-1497.
If you would like more information about Project Light and how you can get involved, contact Charles Sanford.
Project Light At-A-Glance
• Project Light provides unique, software-based tutoring systems for literacy, English as a Second Language, and GED preparation.
• Part One of the training, the educational content used in Project Light's programs, was created by Ph.D. literacy experts and validated by the U.S. Department of Education.
• Part Two: Christian Literacy Series. • Part Three: Conversational English. • Part Four: GED classes.
• Project Light's proven one-to-one approach allows anybody who can read at an sixth grade level or higher to successfully teach another person to read.
• Thousands of students' lives have been transformed by learning to read using Project Light!
What you need to know to be an English tutor:
All you need is a desire to serve God and your neighbor. You do NOT need to be a trained educator. We will provide the necessary training. You do not have to speak Spanish. The only requirement is to be able to speak and read English fluently and be a Christian. The curriculum is in the computer software. There is no planning or preparing lessons involved. Tutors sit with the student, correct his/her pronunciation, and develop a relation with the student. Lessons are taught one- on-one and contain a Bible reading.